Torque Wrench Buying Guide
If you are a mechanic, then there should be a torque wrench in your toolset. A torque wrench will provide you the capability to tighten bolts and nuts to the suggested pound and foot settings without the concern or stripping or overtightening the bolt, or worse damage your engine. There are many kinds and models of torque wrench available on the market today, which makes it hard to pick the best one. Worry no more because this guide will help you find a torque wrench that will meet your specific needs. So, sit back, relax, and continue reading.
Why Consider Buying a Torque Wrench
There are many reasons why a torque wrench is a must-have tool. Some of these are:
- Precise Measurements: Since a lot of car parts need an appropriate level of torque to be secure and safe, this tool provides an accurate way to obtain the perfect torque specs the first time. This allows you to hit the suggested levels of the manufacturer each time. This is vital for many car parts, including lug nuts.
- Protect Parts: The main reason why this tool is vital is for safety purposes. To little or too much torque on parts is unsafe. What is more, too much torque also ruins and harms the components to the risk of loose parts.
Kinds of Torque Wrenches Available
Torque wrenches are available in various types such as:
CLICK-TYPE: This is considered the most popular type of torque wrenches. This tool makes it easy for you to hit the level of torque without presumption. Click-type has a torque setting within the ratchet head where you are able to control the needed level of pressure you like to apply. Usually, the wrench rotates clockwise; eventually, you will feel and hear an audible click, which points out that you have obtained the required level. Also, there is a heavy duty fast release to undo the wrench.
BEAM: If you search for a cheap ad simple type of torque wrench, BEAM is the best choice. However, this tool lacks a sensor or indicator to notify you if the required level has been hit. Instead, it comes with a primary visual indicator as well as a beam made of metal, which flexes. As you turn this tool, the beam curves, moving the indicator.
Given that the whole is performed by eye, hitting the most accurate measurement can be hard as opposed to other types of torque wrenches.
ELECTRONIC: Another common type of torque wrenches is electronic or digital. This utilizes a digital readout mechanism to inform you if the needed level of torque is hit. In a lot of ways, this kind unites the best of the beam and click type style. You get an automatic notification and digital readout in one. With the state of the art features, however, you can have this for a high price.
Top Torque Wrench Available
Here is the summary of the best torque wrench available on the market.
TEKTON 24340 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque
You can calibrate this torque wrench from Tekton to +/-4% accuracy to assure you that you will never over tighten faster as it gets rid of the guessing. You can also accurately tighten machinery or car parts and fasteners according to their specifications so that your work is planned every time.
This state of the art torque wrench comes with a reversible ratcheting head, which will work both ways. On the other hand, it will measure torque though going clockwise. It is easy to measure the torque; all you have to do is to set the required value on the sale on the handle and begin stiffening the fastener. If the measurement has been placed and reached, you’ll hear a click sound.
- This produces a click sound once you reach the pre-set value
- Easy to read high contrast two-range scale even in a dark or low light setting
- The ratchet head drive is reversible in both ways and measures torque in a clockwise direction
- Made of 100 percent steel, doest have plastic components, so you are assured that it will last for many years of using
- Ships pre-calibrated to +/- 4% correctness and can be used right out of the box
Craftsman 9-31425 20-150
Craftsman is one of the leading providers of a high-quality and durable torque wrench for many years. All the torque wrenches they offer are precise and easy to use. This model, the manufacturer combines steel material and rugged strength to provide you the best amount of torque pressure and tension.
Craftsman 9-31425 20-150 comes with a lock and unlock option through a twist ring in which the measurements are visible as well as can be read with ease. The best thing about this torque wrench is that it has been pre-calibrated to +/- 4%; therefore, worry no more about a puffed gasket as well as accidentally harming parts once you attempt to utilize it.
- Comes equipped with a ½ inch drive
- It comes with stamped scales into the housing for a clear and visible reading
- The two range has ft.-lbs as well as Nm scales available
- The integrated twist ring comes with a lock and unlocks the option
- Calibrated to +/-4% accuracy
- It is integrated with a micro-clicker that has 20 to 150 ft.-lbs.
- It generates a click sound when needed levels are met or reached.
Snap-on Industrial Brand CDI
As far as quality concerns, this one is the best choice. This state of the art torque wrenches features ½ inch drive adjustable micrometer torque that features a two-scale, calibrated for pointing out readings in both ways.
The system, which has been utilized to make the wrench, makes sure that each time you read, it will be accurate and precise every time. It has laser calibrated scales for a fast and accurate reading, and at the same time features a positive lock, which utilized a spring-loaded and pulls down locking ring. It is user-friendly due to the fast release button.
It also comes with ergonomic buttons and grip, which makes this tool comfortable and easy to use, regardless of your skill level, it doesn’t matter if you are a seasoned expert or a do-it-your fanatics.
- Laser marked scale
- Two-directional calibrated dual scale
- Fast release buttons and keys for easy and quick setup as well as socket retention
- Positive lock with pull down rock ring that is spring-loaded
- The torque has a range from 30 to 250 ft pounds
ACDelco ARM601-3 3/8-inch Digital Torque Wrench
Those who don’t like to play around with an adjustable dial to get the needed torque settings, then you may be more fascinates into the most reliable torque wrench, which you are able to get. If so, then ACDelco ARM601-3 3/8-inch Digital Torque Wrench might be the best choice.
This state of the art torque wrench comes with an LCD screen with many buttons and keys, enabling you to choose the needed or required Newton-Meter of ft/lb setting you to want. As you crank this tool, the screen will inform you what existing pressure is. It must be noted that not like other tools available, this one will need additional care while handling as it does come with an electronic handle.
- Automatic Shut-Off After one minute of using
- 0-50C operating temperature
- 10-60C storage temperature
- Tool Weight is 1.40 lbs (0.64 kg)
Precision Instruments C3FR250F Torque Wrench
This tool was crafted in the US. Thus it has the ability to torque from 40ft-lbs to 250ft-lbs. Unlike other tools available, which will need you to turn down this tool, there is no need to do this, which makes it a very convenient tool to include in your toolset.
You increased the speed of the wrenching because of the spring-loaded mechanism. It is 22-1/8 inches long; you can get lots of leverage that is a superiority many people will appreciate. This is ideal for residential use but also works best for professional applications. If you are searching for reliable, high quality but cheap torque capable of proving you precise torque, then Precision Instruments C3FR250F Torque Wrench is the best choice.
- It doesn’t need recalibration after application; hence you can use this as it to recalibrate it
- Integrated with an adjustment knob, which gets rid of spring tension, which makes it easy to adjust
- Integrated with setting locks that you can use when calibrating to a needed torque
- Long for extra leverage when wrenching
- Efficiency and speed are assured with the integration of state of the art mechanism that needs little pressure to get going.
- When looking for an only single torque wrench for a car toolset, it is advisable, to begin with, a tool that has ½ inch drive size. Opting to this will provide you a remarkable torque range, which is ideal for many car applications.
- Ensure you calibrate the tool once a year. There are manufacturers out there that provide a fundamental process to do this on your own, or you can get an expert to carry out the task for you.
- You have to clean the threads prior to torque down the fastener. Rust, as well as debris, can make it harder to obtain the best level of torque.
- You have to avoid lubricating a faster unless advised by the manufacturer.
If you are searching for the most excellent torque wrench, it is comprehensible and logical that you’re going to weigh your choices and read some reviews, so you are able to know that you are getting the best one that is worth your money. We are hoping that this guide can help you in making a decision.